“Big things come in small packages”- Common Saying
I was overwhelmed with the names and types of baby clothes when I was pregnant and planning for the arrival of my son. I went online on baby clothing stores to study the names and types. Here is the summary of my study.
1. Bodysuits: Also called as ‘onesie’ (gerber brand trademark name). They work best as they snap-on below the diapers and keeps your baby’s tummy covered as you pick her up.
2. Sleep and Play / One piece footies: I like these a lot. They are the best night dress for your baby. You can get them footless as well. I think the one that are ‘snap-on’ are better than the ‘zippers’. You can just open the bottom buttons on the snap-on to change diaper.
3. Jumpsuit: A one piece garment much like the sleep and play. ‘Carter’s’ make them like a t-shirt with long pant with snap on buttons for pants. I like to use them as my baby’s night dress.
4. Romper: A half pant jumpsuit or a one piece shirt that snaps on like shorts
5. Creepers: These are front open bodysuits at ‘Carter’s’. Some stores sell the onesies that have more embellishments or designs or messages as creepers. The front open at Carter’s worked best for me as they come in handy while dressing my baby when he gets cranky.
6. Overalls: These are the fisherman style one piece dresses. ‘OshKoshB’gosh’ and ‘Jack and Jill’ has a great collection of these overalls.
7. Tops: Shirts/ Polo/ T-shirts/ Tanks/ Kimonos.
8. Bottoms: Pants/ Jeans/ Shorts/ Pyjamas/ Skirts/ Tights/ Leggings.
9. Frocks for baby girl.
10. Socks/ Booties/ Mitten/ Gloves/ Beanies or Caps: While selecting a cap, I choose the one with ear flaps. I always wanted to have a newborn cpas with flaps, but I couldn’t find one. The cap that worked well for me for a long time was the cap that my hospital gave. i
11. Outerwear: Sweatshirts/ Jackets/ Snow coat/ Sweaters/ Hoodies/etc.
12. Blankets: Regular. Swaddle blankets for newborns for the first few weeks. Wearable blankets works best for the night. The wearables also come with legs to keep your baby’s feet free. I recommend using one or two size bigger blankets since they can shrink in your washing machine.
13. Sleeping gowns /sacques.
14.Layette: It is a term used to describe the collection of all essential clothes for a newborn.
THINGS TO HAVE:
1. Dresser/Closet.: I have sterlite drawers from target in my closet with labels on them.
2. Labels for drawers .It will help dad to find your baby’s pjs when you are busy changing her diaper.
3. Drawer organizers/ Closet organizer.
4. A laundry bin.
5. Room to grow :).